The thoughts of a newly married, recently graduated, christ-seeking, pastor-to-be

Thursdays are for Theology...

Prophets, Kings, and the New Testament

In my theological wonderings and conversations I recently got to talk to an amazingly good friend about some of the stuff I come in contact with, and have had to deal with internally. You see I grew up in a very conservative very non-charismatic church, never seen a person healed, never heard a prophecy, never even heard tongues till I was in college. And when I did get to college I had some guy tell me that if I didn't speak in tongues I didn't have the Holy Spirit. I knew he was wrong, but that did cause me to research my own personal theology regarding tongues, and thus opened myself up to begin to understand the concept of "walking in power." This being that I was trying to understand how to show all those things that Christ called us to do in Matthew 10:8. Honestly to this day I have prayed many times to heal people and it has never happened. But others have told great testimony to this happening, and I know it to be true. But it does not happen for me. But what if there are other ways that the spirit is evident, even to the extent of that of what is found in the Old Testament.

I would say that after the passing of Moses, and perhaps even past the judges, we see two models of those who were filled with God's blessing and power. For generalizing purposes I will label these the "prophet" and the "king." One walked in mighty power, making sure that the true supernatural powers of God evident and unmistakeable, the other was filled with the wisdom, and strength, and charisma of God. This is not to say that the prophets did not, but there is a reason for these divisions I promise. For the most part in the book of the prophets, the key figures are those who are proclaiming amazing feats, and God supports those with their corresponding actions, however they are a person, whom Israel does not want to listen to. Israel puts up their blinders because what amazing things these people have to share is too much from someone who is not their leader. The Prophets are amazing people, I cannot emphasize this enough and God does amazing miracles through them, but alas they are almost despised by their people.

Then there are the kings. Those bound with having to maintain the very people who so do not want responsibility for their way of life. The king must hear the word of God and distribute it with authority, and in a way that the people accept. A serious burden for sure. But these people are not out raising the dead, instead they are trying to keep a people from extinction. They are attempting to trust God for wisdom beyond their ability. They are those that the people listen to. The king is bound to not lose the sight of the people and their trust. When the prophets end up speaking to the king, it is later in private. For the king, he must hear those words, pray that God will give him the wisdom to make sense of it so he can apply it towards his people. I am sure the king wishes he could just go about healing, raising the dead, and casting out demons. But perhaps he cannot? And maintain the respoect of his people?

These are all conjectures, I don't know. But I do know that both these types were in touch with God. They both carried around the authority of God, but sometimes I believe that those who cannot do, well teach. Perhaps if those of us have not had the pleasure of God healing someone through our prayers must continue to teach others to go out and do so. To make sure that others remember that all people should be going out in power.

I hope this was interest, sparked thoughts, and who knows maybe you will gather around the local watering hole and discuss this. I am not sayign that those who have not healed will never heal, I am just saying until then that they can take a certain comfort in the ways that God has given them until they have such an opportunity.

Theology Thursday over and out

Zach