The thoughts of a newly married, recently graduated, christ-seeking, pastor-to-be

Academics or the Real World?

I find myself in a bit of a quandary. A good friend of mine said the other day "the higher the academic degree, the more stupid people become [regarding real people]." This prompted me to wonder where I fall, I mean I am an academic. I love the works that academics have produced, and I believe being an academic has a place in the world. So what do I do when I realize that I need to be both intelligent in what I know and share, as well as be grounded in the real world, realizing that every day concerns are the ultimate reality?
My greatest faer is that as I continue my goal of researching further into the ways of God and developing my own theories along the way, that I will lose sight of the poeple I am trying to teach in lieu of the search for knowledge. Because if I have all the knowledge in the world of God, but have not love for others around me, those words will simply fall upon deaf ears yes?
I want to be intelligent, but I want to love others around me as well, can I have my cake and eat it too?
Thoughts for this young man to ponder.

Zach