The thoughts of a newly married, recently graduated, christ-seeking, pastor-to-be

SBC going too far in legislating morality?

Yeah, I am asking that question. I am a born again Christian. Yes that means I follow Christ, I live for the Lord, I have seen the light. I understand there is a standard I follow in calling myself that. But of those standards I cannot stand that religion has any right to tell people they cannot produce alcoholic beverages or control what kind are sold.

I am referring to this article written in the LA Times on March 10, 2008 later republished on March 28, 2008 in the Record Searchlight.

The barebone details are that in Alabama it is illegal to brew your own beer or sell beer with an alcohol content over 3.9% following decade old laws based on the prohibition. And as groups try to fight this the SBC is throwing their weight into saying that it is immoral acts, quoting "Be not drunk with wine but filled with the Spirit". This is ridiculous because it does not say anything about brewing, or drinking beer, just the abuse thereof.

I am a Christian, I also consume a beer on occasion. I do not get drunk, I actually enjoy the taste of a well crafted beer. There is a complexity in beer that wine at times even has a hard time competing against. There is something delicious about it that just sits well.

I do not promote getting drunk, it is just plain stupid, you might as well hand your decision making abilities over to a 3 year old at that point and then blame them later for you downfall. But a drink is fine. Legislating the decision to enjoy a drink just seems like it is going too far in my opinion.

Please, read the article and tell me what you think.