The thoughts of a newly married, recently graduated, christ-seeking, pastor-to-be

Confidence vs. Arrogance


So I was pondering my supposed arrogance today. I have been called or insinuated as arrogant more than a few times in my life. Usually in the workplace. Maybe its just my natural bias to defend myself, or maybe I am onto something, but I realized I am not arrogant, well at least not all the time. I think being very confident and very arrogant are two very different things.
I view arrogance as a negative thing first of all. Nobody ever really says, wow, his arrogance is one of his greatest qualities. A definition of arrogance says “Having an exaggerated view of one’s own importance or abilities.” This could be, and I usually believe a reaction out of insecurity. In order to instill a perception of importance, the insecure person will create it regardless of its existence.
Then there is confidence. I view this as a positive thing because well it is an admirable quality to be confident. A dictionary definition of confidence is “A feeling of self-assurance arising from one’s appreciation of one’s abilities or qualities.” Notice that this is simply being knowledgeable of one’s place in their surroundings. And even more, this confidence is usually instilled by others through affirmation.
For example: I have great confidence that I am a natural leader. Why? Because I have always been put in leadership positions or ended up there within a group. Leaders above me have put me there against my will to prove a point to me, and I have accepted that my actions and even emotions effect the whole of a group. If I am in a good mood, others around me tend to gain a good mood, if I side against something, others in my group tend to side against it as well. I encourage them to disagree with me keep in mind, and I don’t typically speak about this.
There is potential hazard in this confidence when an arrogant person is put in charge of a confident person. This has happened when I was in a group of mostly confident people, and we had an arrogant leader. The outcome proved to be disastrous, leaving a lasting resentment between both parties.
This leads to the issue of morale in a group. If there is an arrogant member of a group, in general, moods will tend to sour, and eventually the situation implodes on itself. A confident member, who is usually aware of their confidence, can alter a groups morale without even thinking about it. Both arrogant people and confident people are catalysts. Or “changers” of a groups morale. And the difference is this, an arrogant person tends to not realize that they are arrogant, they are trying to make themselves more than anything feel confident, and tend to overdo it and are more focused on maintaining that then the emotions of their surroundings. A confident person tends to be aware of their place and also their effect on their surroundings and emotions, so there is more responsibility in being confident because they know they are a catalyst for morale.
The biggest reason for me being aware of my confidence is, I cannot get rid of it, and hence, I have to watch my every action, word, and emotion projection so as to not dangerously affect the emotions of those around me.

Thanks for reading.

Zach