The thoughts of a newly married, recently graduated, christ-seeking, pastor-to-be

Thomas' Song

This was actually written a couple months ago when I was on a silent retreat. I had been pondering the moments of Thomas who for his desire to truly know he has been cast as the “doubter” for so long. I felt for Thomas, and so in this time of contemplation I wrote.

Thomas' Song

Your first act of love, You hid Yourself
In human form, with calloused hands
And in a hateful world, You showed Yourself,
The Son of God, The Son of Man, upon the cross

In the next three days, depression rang loud
Your own beloved friends, brought down in humility
It was that time, to check on You again
But the stone was rolled aside, You had arisen!

I was out about the town, eyes swollen red
Tears streaking down, my travel worn face
The others came forth running, tears of their own
But in the face that should bear grief, I found joy

I was in disbelief, it could not truly be
You had arisen, as You had foretold
I had to see you, to feel the scars
And with no condemnation, You shared your wounds

Those pierced hands, have grasped my own
Those pierced feet, have walked to me
That pierced side, which bled for me
Has given me into, your redemptive reality

Zach Tanksley, 2006